Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I used to hate drag queens

I really did. I called them freaks, mentally ill, made fun of them. I did not want to be around them. When I went to a gay bar and a queen was coming my way, I went the other way. Effeminate men irritated me too. It was like, why do you have to be so gay? I mean really gay?

But then it dawned on me: Why do I have to be such an asshole?

My discomfort with drag queens and effeminate men/boys was really about me, not them. It was all tied into my fear of being associated with that type of gay man. I was afraid of them. I was homophobic and I was gay!

Man, did I need to get over that shit. And I did. Now I’m irritated by gay men who complain about gay stereotypes. Some have posted comments to my blog. I’ll get over these dweebs too someday, but again, I just want to scream, “Get over it! We’re here, we’re queer, get a freaking hobby!”

Anyway, I wanted to share this video about the Princess Boy. I love this! It makes me cry every time I watch it. Shit, I am such a fag.


tvjares

By the way, I found this video on the blog Gay Andy. This is a blog written by a 17-year-old Hispanic boy that has proved to be an enthralling read. I must admit that at times I have doubts as to whether Gay Andy is real. But then again, these doubts are mine, and one day I will understand their origin.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your suggestion that people "get a hobby". I used to work with people involved in domestic violence, restraining orders, child support and child custody. If many of these people got hobbies other than fighting each other and stalking each other, we'd need a lot fewer people to work on their cases. This blog entry reminds me of what my mother always told me when I was a kid and would tattle on my brother. Without even blinking she'd say, "Nevermind about him; worry about yourself." It was good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Lola, I also used to work with problem children, children who were abused, neglected, and you're so right. In psychology, it's called sublimation. If people would just find an activity, a hobby, to divert their energy maybe they wouldn't be so stressed.

    So Lola, such an interesting name , that is if I think of the Kinks song. But I won't tell.

    ReplyDelete